We recognise that many of our local businesses are feeling the effects of COVID-19 and Australia is currently undergoing rapid and radical changes in an attempt to control the virus.
Council is encouraging our local community to support one another during this time, particularly as you, our local businesses, are adapting services to comply with the fast changing regulations and to meet consumer needs. Ways customers can support local businesses are listed here.
As a business owner it is extremely important to keep up to date with the rapidly shifting situation, and to arm yourself with as much information as possible to see yourself (and your staff) through this challenging period.
- Keep up to date with the latest information and advice. NSW Government information and advice can be found here.
- Prepare a Business Continuity Plan (BCP) ahead of time to ensure that your business can remain operating or viable should a disaster strike. CPA Australia have a COVID-19 Contingency Plan checklist that’s quick and easy to use.
- Keep your marketing going. There are cheap ways to continue marketing, such as social media engagement. Keep your presence up to ensure you are showing up on news feeds.
- Think of innovative ways to continue to serve your customers such as creating online shopping capacity and/or retooling for takeaway
- Establish a remote work option if possible. Look into technology and tools to keep you and your team connected like chat tools, video conferencing, and project management tools.
- Have a list of your key contacts and a handover notes prepared and easily accessible in case someone needs to run your business on your behalf
- Keep an eye out for Government support packages and speak to your accountant ASAP as to what you are eligible for.
- Update your business plan and financial documents. These will be required if you find yourself needing to apply for a business loan.
- Set a long-term plan for “survival” and “recovery”.
- Hold a sale or promotion: A sale or promotion which offers some great deals is an effective way to encourage customers into your store.
- Ask for help if you need it!
Further information can be found at the following locations:
- ATO Emergency Support Infoline to discuss relief options call 1800 806 218.
- Small Business Commissioner – updated helpful information and resources
- Business.gov.au/risk-management/ – Find financial assistance, eligibility and timing for the new government support for Australian businesses.
- Business.gov.au – State and Territory grants and programs
- Business Australia – resources and practical tools from how to have conversations with your employees to the temporary shut-down of your business
- Employer guide to coronavirus– Information for Employers from Business Australia
- Coronavirus-covid-19 – Information for employers from Health NSW
- Recovery Toolkit – Business recovery toolkit for National Emergencies
The Grants and Funding section of this webpage will also be updated with Federal and State Government initiatives during this period.
If you need help or would like to talk to someone visit headsup.org.au or call Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636.