Grants and Funding Opportunities
The NSW Government will be offering financial support to businesses impacted by the recent COVID-19 restrictions and stay-at-home orders.
If your business or not-for-profit organisation has been impacted by the restrictions, you may be eligible to apply from 19 July 2021.
Financial support includes the following:
- COVID-19 business grant: if you’re a business, sole trader or not-for-profit organisation impacted by the current Greater Sydney COVID-19 restrictions, you may be able to apply for a grant of up to $15,000 from 19 July 2021.
- Saving Jobs: a support program funded jointly by the NSW and Commonwealth governments to maintain employment of staff for small and medium businesses impacted by the current health restrictions.
- Micro business grant: if you’re a micro business (small business or sole trader with annual turnover of more than $30,000 and under $75,000) impacted by the current Greater Sydney COVID-19 restrictions, you may be able to apply for a $1500 payment per fortnight of restrictions from late July 2021.
- Payroll Tax Waivers: Businesses will benefit from payroll tax waivers of 25 per cent for businesses with Australian wages of between $1.2 million and $10 million that have experienced a 30 per cent decline in turnover
- Disaster Recovery Payments: The NSW Government will also cover the disaster recovery payments for areas outside the Commonwealth declared hotspot from week four of the NSW lockdown providing valuable support across the state
More information is available on the Service NSW Website
Other employer support programs:
- Free of Charge Advice for Businesses Affected by Lockdown: Small businesses affected by the current COVID-19 lockdown and restrictions are encouraged to seek free-of-charge advice from the NSW Government’s business advisory service Business Connect. For more on Business Connect visit https://www.business.nsw.gov.au/support-for-business/businessconnect
- Boosting Apprenticeship Commencements provides a 50% wage subsidy for employers hiring new or recommencing apprentices between 5 October 2020 and 30 September 2021. This will be available to any size business but is capped to 100,000 apprentices. Download the factsheet or visit https://www.dese.gov.au/
- JobMaker Hiring Credit - Employers may be paid up to $200 per week for employing young employees between 18 and 35 years. For more information click here.
- Temporary full expensing - The Government is introducing temporary full expensing of eligible depreciable assets for businesses with turnover up to $5 billion from 6 October 2020 until 30 June 2022. For more information click here.
- The Instant Asset Write-Off (IAWO) Threshold has been increased to include eligible assets each costing less than $150,000. The threshold applies on a per asset basis, so eligible businesses can immediately write‑off multiple assets.
For more information and an up to date list of Government initiatives click the above underlined links or visit www.business.gov.au.
For more resources to assist in dealing with COVID-19 click here.
Smart and Skilled Program
The NSW Department of Industry, Smart and Skilled Program, offers support for both students and employers to get the skills needed for jobs in the NSW workforce.
There are a range of Government-subsidised courses and approved training providers to choose from, as well as new fee arrangements.
Under Smart and Skilled, all apprenticeship and most traineeship qualifications are subsidised. Training for existing-worker trainees is not subsidised.
The courses subsidised are on the NSW Skills List. The Skills List identifies courses that help people get the skills they need to find a job. It also aligns with the skills needs of businesses in NSW.
As part of the Smart and Skilled program, Local Governments are also eligible for support in offering pre-employment training, employing apprentices and new entrant trainees, and also upskilling current employees. Information specific to the Local Government Skills Strategy can be found here.
For more information visit the Smart and Skilled website or call 1300 772 104